If you have an awning, a canvas or a pergola and you want to know how to keep it clean, you are in the right place. Due to the weather conditions to which these are exposed, awnings, pergolas or similar tend to accumulate a lot of dirt and cleaning them is not an easy task. In this post we tell you how to clean an awning, canvas or outdoor pergola in simple steps.
How to clean canvas awning
There are several types of awnings, balcony, window, pergola, etc. And depending on its material, cleaning will be carried out in one way or another, but the most common is that the awnings are made of synthetic canvas, since it is a very resistant material to remain outside.
But this type of material also the one that tends to accumulate the most dirt. That is why you must know how to clean a canvas awning to always have it in perfect condition.
Here we explain the step by step on how to clean an awning in a simple way:
- Get a detergent of any brand but it is neutral, and mix it with water.
- Add this mixture to a cotton cloth and wring it out, so that it is not excessively soaked. Once the cloth is wet, rub the outside of the awning with it. It affects the areas that have accumulated a greater dirtiness.
- Now take another cotton cloth and moisten it with just water. Pass it all over the outside of the awning to remove any traces of dirt and detergent that may have remained.
- Finally, let it dry in the open air.
As a tip, you can also use a steam cleaner instead of the cloth with the detergent mixture. Thanks to the heat, the dirt will come off more easily.
How to remove mold from an awning
It is very common for awnings to accumulate mold both on the outside and on the inside. The fact of being located outdoors causes that green to be generated by the rains and humidity accumulated during the year.
But don’t worry, here’s how to clean an awning and remove the entire mold that has accumulated on it.
First of all, moisten the entire surface of the awning, both the outside and the inside.
Use a special product to remove mold. Apply a little product on a damp cloth and rub those areas that have been most affected by that green. Please note that you should not rub too hard to avoid damaging the awning material.
Let the product act for the time indicated by the manufacturer.
Once this time has elapsed, rinse the entire surface of the awning with water and let it dry. The mold will be gone!
A tip that you should follow is the following: never roll up the awning when it is still wet, this way you will avoid the mold that we hate so much. In this process you can also use the steam cleaner to properly disinfect the area with the heat that this device gives off.
Tips to keep clean pergola or awning all year round
Now that you know how to clean an awning, pergola or outdoor canvas, it will be very interesting for you to continue reading to learn all the keys to keeping it clean throughout the year. This way you will avoid having to clean it so thoroughly every summer.
- You will prevent dirt from accumulating excessively if you brush the awning regularly. You can do it once a month and you should always use a soft bristle brush to avoid damaging the material.
- Before cleaning the awning, remove any solid dirt that may have adhered to it. For example, bird droppings should be removed as soon as possible, they can remove the color of your awning and damage the material.
- It is advisable that you only use neutral detergents, otherwise the chemicals that these types of products usually contain can be very harmful to the awning fabric.
- Do not forget the inside of the awning, it is less exposed but it can also be damaged. Clean it whenever you clean the outside.
- Whenever it rains, try to retract the awning so that it does not accumulate moisture.
- Do not forget to make sure that the awning is dry whenever you are going to roll it up, otherwise the dreaded mold will appear.
You already know how to clean canvas awning and keep it in perfect condition throughout the year. We hope we have helped you!
Image Source: Flickr